Can I operate a business out of my home?

Yes, but not without a permit. 

Operating a business out of your home depends on your residential zoning and type of business you intend to operate.  Home Occupations are businesses that do not require customers to come on-site, and have no signage nor commercial vehicles indicating there is a business present.  Home Businesses, such as physician’s offices and salons, are permitted on a case-by-case basis in certain residential zoning districts.  Please see the Planning Department if you intend to open a business out of your home.  

Bed and Breakfasts or other short-term rentals require a different process.  See the FAQ addressing Bed and Breakfasts for more information. 

Show All Answers

1. How is my property zoned?
2. How do I open a business in Natchez?
3. How do I know if I am in the Historic District?
4. What is zoning?
5. Can I operate a Bed and Breakfast or Guest House in Natchez?
6. Do I need a permit to paint my house?
7. Can I operate a business out of my home?
8. What are the setbacks (dimensional standards) for my property?
9. What is a Variance?
10. What is a Special Exception?
11. Can I rezone my property?
12. What are the regulations on building a fence in Natchez?
13. What payment methods are accepted for Planning or Preservation applications?